Deadline for Submission of Phase II Claim Forms is April 15, 2018.
(Deadline for Registration for Phase II was November 1, 2017)
ARCHDIOCESE OF NEW YORK INDEPENDENT RECONCILIATION AND COMPENSATION PROGRAM ("IRCP")
This Phase II Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Program (the "Phase II IRCP") follows the completion of the claim submission process of Phase I of the Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Program previously implemented, and supplements initiatives already undertaken by the Archdiocese of New York (the "Archdiocese") to address the problem of sexual abuse of minors alleged against clergy of the Archdiocese. The Phase II IRCP is the continuation of a program designed to compensate eligible victims of sexual abuse of minors and is designed to review and evaluate claims by individuals not previously reported to the Archdiocese. The Phase II IRCP will commence effective March 1, 2017.
The most important features of the Phase II IRCP are as follows:
- The Phase II IRCP is purely voluntary; no individual is required to participate in the program. Only if the individual is satisfied with the proposed compensation does the individual agree to waive rights to litigate against the New York Archdiocese.
- The Phase II IRCP is limited in scope to those individuals who allege sexual abuse of minors by clergy of the New York Archdiocese and have previously registered with the program by providing their names, contact information and a summary description of the nature of the claim, including the dates, time, location of the alleged abuse and the name of the alleged perpetrator. Such information will be maintained by the Administrators in strict confidence in conjunction with the Phase II IRCP, except that the information will be forwarded to the local office of the District Attorney by the registrant and to the Archdiocese for initial review of the allegations. In addition, the Archdiocese will have the matter investigated by outside investigators and examined by the Archdiocese Lay Review Board. If you have not previously registered for the Phase II IRCP, you may do so now. Please Click here to register for Phase II of the program or call toll free 866 913-3210 for additional information. https://www.nyarchdiocese-IRCPSettlementProgram.com
- If you have previously registered for the Phase II IRCP, alleging sexual abuse of minors by clergy of the New York Archdiocese, you will be sent a Phase II IRCP Claim Form.
- The Phase II IRCP will be administered by Kenneth R. Feinberg and Camille Biros (the "Administrators"). Mr. Feinberg and Ms. Biros retain complete and sole discretion over all compensation awards to eligible victims, including eligibility to participate in the Phase II IRCP and the amounts of compensation. By agreement, the Archdiocese cannot reject the Administrators’ final determinations as to eligibility and amount of compensation. The Independent Oversight Committee will oversee the implementation and administration of the IRCP.
- The Phase II IRCP has no aggregate cap; the Archdiocese has agreed to pay what the Administrators deem appropriate in each and every individual case.
- Individuals filing a claim with the Administrators will be required to offer proof of such sexual abuse.
- Individuals who previously settled their sexual abuse claims with the Archdiocese will not be permitted to participate in the Program.
- Individuals who allege sexual abuse as a minor by a member of a religious order or clergy of another diocese are not eligible to participate in the Program although the claims will be forwarded to the superior of the religious order or bishop of such diocese.
- Eligible claims will be paid within 60 days from the time that a submitted claim is deemed eligible and compensation is determined and accepted.
- The effective date of Phase II IRCP is March 1, 2017. All claims submitted to the Administrators must be postmarked no later than July 31, 2017.